Make Every Game A Home Game
Dear Ohio State Community,
Ohio State football is back this weekend and we are looking forward to cheering the Buckeyes on to a win against Nebraska. As you may know, other than player and coach family members, there won’t be fans at The ‘Shoe. While we wish we could all be together in the stands, these efforts are making it possible for us to have a safe season and protect Buckeye Nation.
Game Day might look different than years past or what you expected your first home game to be like, but the spirit of football season and fall on campus will live on in new ways. There will be opportunities for you to connect with the traditions that make campus home, no matter where you are. With this in mind, we encourage our Buckeye family to make every game a “home” game, meaning Buckeye fans near and far cheer on the team from the safety of their own homes. Whether that’s your residence hall, your house off-campus or your home country, you are still part of Buckeye Nation.
So that we can continue the fun of football season through December, we will be asking all students and members of the Buckeye family to follow health and safety guidelines while enjoying the game. This includes wearing masks, washing your hands, practicing physical distancing and cheering on the Buckeyes from home with your quaran-team (the group of friends you normally socialize with). Large gatherings are not safe, and they are not permitted. Please do not put yourself or your fellow Buckeyes at risk by hosting or participating in gatherings of more than 10.
Your best bet for cheering on the Buckeyes safely:
- Watch at home, not at a restaurant or bar, with the friends and roommates you’ve been spending
- time with routinely.
- Watch outside if you can.
- Keep your game day crew to 10 people or fewer.
- When possible, wear masks and stay at least 6 feet apart. Remember that cheering, yelling (and
- singing “Carmen Ohio”) increase the spread of COVID-19, so consider spreading out even
- further – 10 to 12 feet is ideal in these situations.
To help us #homegate, the Office of Student Life and Ohio State Athletics have developed a list of events, activities and opportunities you can take part in to show your Buckeye pride:
- Before and during each home game, fans can connect with the Scarlet Saturday livestream in the Ohio State Athletics app, or the Ohio State Athletics Facebook page. Tune in while watching the game and enjoy content streaming from the Ohio Stadium video board, trivia, fun interactive segments and an opportunity to submit your own safe and healthy photos and videos to be featured.
- Several contests, including residence hall lobby decorating, off-campus house decorating and a search for the Most Spirited Buckeye on each of Ohio State’s campuses will give students the chance to win great prizes.
- New stops will be added every Thursday for a self-guided Traditions Tour on Buckeye Nation Rewards. This tour will help students learn more about noteworthy spots on campus and earn points for prizes.
- Students with dining plans can enjoy football-themed food specials every Thursday through Saturday.
- Student Life Dining Services food trucks will be making deliveries of free food to students living off-campus in the University District who are celebrating responsibly in groups of 10 or less.
- Buckeye fans can have a presence in the Ohio Stadium by purchasing fan cut-outs that will be placed in the seats or by reserving space for a message on the Stadium scoreboard during the game.
Together As Buckeyes we will work hard to make this season safe, healthy and fun. We can do this!
Melissa S. Shivers, PhD
Vice President for Student Life
Senior Vice President & Wolfe Foundation Endowed Athletics Director