Influenza (flu) is an infection from a virus. It can cause a fever, body aches, a headache and a cough. It's contagious and usually lasts about a week or two. Flu symptoms are usually worse than a cold and last longer. Most flu outbreaks happen in late fall and winter. Because symptoms may not start for a couple of days, you may pass the flu to someone before you know you have it.
According to the CDC, everyone 6 months and older should be vaccinated against the flu with rare exceptions. It takes about two weeks to develop immunity after receiving the flu vaccine. When you get the flu shot, it also protects others around you by preventing transmission of the influenza virus. While it's possible to get the flu even after receiving the vaccine, getting the flu shot also decreases the chances of hospitalization if you do get the flu.
Why getting a flu shot is more important than ever this year
- Prevent coinfection: a brutal, potentially life-threatening one-two punch to your immune system from having to combat both the flu and COVID-19
- Get protection from the flu: the annual vaccine is effective about 60% of the time, which is much more than the 0% of protection you get from skipping the shot
- Protect your loved ones: a flu shot protects you and anyone you might otherwise have infected if you contracted the flu
Availability and Scheduling
Student Health Services
Student Life Student Health Services offers several options for students to receive their flu shot:
- Schedulable Influenza Clinics (appointment required, see events page for details; events will be limited)
- Schedule an appointment with the Preventive Medicine team via My BuckMD
- Schedule an appointment with the Pharmacy via My BuckMD and select "Vaccine Pharmacy Appointment" under appointment type
All patients must schedule an appointment to receive the influenza vaccination.
Ohio State Wexner Medical Center
Anyone can now schedule an appointment to receive the flu vaccine by using MyChart or by calling COVID-19 vaccine hotline at 614-688-VAXX or 614-688-8299.
Appointments are also available at walk-in locations without an appointment.