Events and Gatherings
The university is prioritizing in-person teaching and learning. Due to the Omicron-related case numbers, when possible, other in-person events, gatherings or meetings should be transitioned to virtual formats. The university will closely monitor this so that it can be updated as needed.
- Food and drinks should not be served at any in-person event, gathering or meeting. Exceptions can be made for third-party space rentals that have already been confirmed, although masking should be strictly enforced.Third-party renters are defined as organizations that are not affiliated with the university. A university department renting event space from another university unit/facility does not qualify as a third-party rental.
- Concessions will be closed at all university-related athletic events. Water will be available.
In-person programming that uses university spaces must operate under these guidelines.
- All events and gatherings must follow state, local and university protocols to protect all involved. Note that all guidance is subject to change based on health guidance.
- Daily activities are permitted. Overnight activities are not at this time.
- Organizers may work directly with the appropriate contact at the desired venue (whether at a university-run venue or a third-party location).
- Events planned for academic spaces may be approved through the normal college, department or academic program level review. Events do not need to be submitted to the Office of Academic Affairs for review.
Effective Aug. 2, students, faculty, staff and visitors to all Ohio State campuses and medical facilities are required to wear masks indoors, regardless of their vaccination status. Masks continue to be required outdoors for unvaccinated individuals when they cannot maintain physical distancing. Vaccinated people are not required to mask outdoors.
As of June 2nd, indoor venues may operate at full capacity.
Education of staff
All staff must be educated on proper masking requirements, sanitation, and cleaning. Programs that involve minor participants must follow all university policies related to staffing, education, and background checks.
Cleaning and sanitation expectations
All spaces are to be cleaned and disinfected nightly. Programs should appoint one staff member who is responsible for the ongoing monitoring of safety protocols.
PPE (personal protective equipment) – including hand cleaning stations
Hands should be washed frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after touching common surfaces. If soap and water are not available, 70% alcohol-based hand sanitizer should be used. Programs should allow for regular hand washing.
University students, staff and faculty are encouraged to take advantage of asymptomatic testing on campus. Ohio State students, faculty and staff who have received an approved exemption or did not report their vaccination status are required to complete weekly COVID-19 testing. The university does not plan to test participants.
All programs must maintain accurate participation and attendance logs for use with potential contact tracing. When grouping participants in cohorts (10 or fewer), programs must maintain logs of the members of each cohort group.